I was chatting with my sister yesterday and we got on the topic about skincare. Like most women, she struggles to find a routine that works for her skin. While I have a routine down now – I, too, struggled to find products that worked for me. So I suggested that she try some of my tricks.
I began my skincare quest when I took a position with a cosmetics company as a beauty rep and makeup artist. I learned that the most important piece to achieving your best look and also getting the most out of your makeup begins with skincare. Now, I’m not saying this works for everyone; however, it has worked wonders on my skin and my complexion.
*I would say I’m a combination to normal skin complexion. I battled with acne for quite a while – Proactiv didn’t even cut it for me! This has been the longest lasting routine that has kept my skin clear and smooth.*
So, I have two different routines: morning and night. It is important to differentiate a couple of products to ensure that your skin is getting what it needs during the day and then at night.
1. Once I get up, I wash the night away with a basic cleanser (right now I use Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash – it doesn’t leave any residue, doesn’t strip my skin, and keeps any breakouts at bay) using my Clarisonic Brush. I LOVE MY CLARISONIC. Ever since I’ve been using it (about three years now), my skin has been almost flawless, not to mention my moisturizers actually work better. If you were to take a skincare class, you would learn that exfoliation is key to allowing your products (moisturizers, serums, etc.) work better…they ‘sink in’ better. Just a dab of cleanser on the Clarisonic, press the button, and the brush does the rest.
2. After rinsing and patting dry, I apply a lightweight moisturizer. Currently, I use Garnier Moisture Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream. I love this because it is a gel-based cream that does not make my skin greasy. Once I apply the cream, it actually soaks in and feels like I have nothing on. I use the Normal to Combo Skin oil-free version in the spring and summer months (humidity is crazy in Missouri!) and then the Dry Skin version during the fall and winter months. I love both and can use interchangeably with no breakouts.
3. Eye cream. This is something I use day and night. Estee Lauder Advanced Time Zone Age Reversing Eye Cream works wonders! I battle with under eye darkness, especially now with my motherly duties late at night. This eye cream is refreshing, doesn’t sit in any crevices, and does not leave a greasy feel after application. I simply dip my ring finger into the pot (you need the TINIEST bit) and dab under my eye, the corner of my eye, on my brow bone, and along the outside corner.
4. Tinted moisturizer WITH sunscreen. You have to protect your skin from damaging UV rays and environmental toxins. I like to use Garnier BB Cream. Their Light to Medium tint is a perfect base before I apply my foundation. You can apply this product a little heavier if you want to wear it as a foundation. Too much can be a disaster for my skin – the sunscreen component makes my skin feel greasy if I apply too much. I, essentially, use it as a ‘primer’ of sorts.
5. Finish applying my makeup. That is a post for another day!
1. At night, my routine is pretty basic. I, again, use my Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash as my cleanser with my Clarisonic. I will initially wash my makeup off with a couple pumps of cleanser using my hands, and then follow up with a small dab of cleanser on my Clarisonic.
2. If I have stubborn eye makeup on, I will use Lancôme’s Bi-Facil Eye Makeup Remover.
3. I, first, apply a serum. Always remember – serums are meant to do ONE thing. They do what they are designed to do. Moisturizers do multiple jobs as they have a variety of components. The serum I live by is Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair. I just use the smallest drop and it covers my whole face. This product is a little pricey, but a one ounce bottle should last you for about six months or more. I wear this every single night under my night cream. I can, honestly, tell a difference in my skin if I don’t use it for a night. It is magical.
When applying any creams or serums (or foundation if you must use your hands…), try to rub upwards. Just a tip I learned in class!
4. Dab on the Estee Lauder eye cream – same areas as in the morning.
5. Lastly, I apply the night moisturizer. I have been using Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream. It balances out my skin and regenerates it while I catch some Zs. It hydrates, but not too much where you wake up greasy. It is just the perfect amount. Don’t over apply! You just need a little dab. LESS IS MORE. I apply this all over my face and also on my neck. Done!
That’s my skincare routine! Super easy, right? If I can suggest anything at all, it is to take care of your skin. You will be thankful in the long run and your foundation will wear better.
PS: I am not advertising any of these products or tools. I have bought and used them for myself and formed my own opinion.
3 thoughts on “skincare tips.”