I hope that all the mothers out there had a fantastic Mother’s Day! I felt that because this was my very first Mother’s Day with my little munchkin, it was only appropriate to post some of my favorite baby products thus far. I am no expert; however, I think these products are practical, affordable, and durable for any momma!
1. Rock’n’Play Sleeper: We absolutely loved this sleeper. Our home isn’t extremely large, so we didn’t have the space in our bedroom to put a bassinet or a Pack’n’Play. A friend of mine suggested that I look into using a sleeper – she had a Rock’n’Play for her daughter. It was great to have the baby right by my side at night, especially for nursing when he woke up hungry. I didn’t originally register for this, but I absolutely recommend it! It is light, so you can move it from room to room with ease. It even folds up for quick storage! The cradle design was great for Everett – I suppose it made him feel comfortable while he slept. We used this for naps and nighttime for about four weeks or so (until we transitioned Rett into his crib). My friend used it even longer! She had her daughter sleep in her Rock’n’Play for about twelve weeks. If you don’t want to invest in another piece of furniture like a bassinet or even a Pack’n’Play – I recommend this product.
2. Boppy: A must if you are nursing! This just makes the whole process of nursing more comfortable. I thought I could just hold Rett with no pillow while nursing – and boy did my arms get tired quick! The Boppy (or any other brand, I just liked this one) is designed to wrap around your belly so that you can sit comfortably, with a relaxed demeanor. Your lactation nurse will always tell you ‘Relax your shoulders! The baby can feel that stress!’. Well, she’s right. The pillow under your arms helps tremendously. While I still use the Boppy for nursing, we have also begun to use it for tummy time. So many uses and a great item to add to your registry!
3. Tommee Tippee bottles: I was recommended (by MANY) to use Dr. Brown’s bottles. The reviews are excellent and I’ve heard so many great things. I, however, found the Tommee Tippee brand to work for us. These bottles are specifically designed to be closely shaped like a breast so that the baby does not have any confusion going back and forth. I’ve also found that Rett has fewer stints with hiccups when we use the Tommee Tippee versus any other brand I have. They are super easy to clean and have zero leaks. AND the baby has no trouble at all going from bottle to breast and latching normally.
4. Boon Grass Countertop drying rack: I LOVE this drying rack! Plus it looks adorable on the counter top! Don’t forget the little flowers and trees to add to it – those are great for hanging nipples, breast pump parts, and pacifiers after you clean them.
5. Medela Pump In Style Electric Pump: Because we are always on the go, I decided to get a breast pump. It is just easier to have some milk on hand to throw in a bottle, than having to stop and nurse. Not to mention, I am a working mommy so this was a must. I did a lot of research on breast pumps and found that the Medela came highly recommended. It is durable and long-lasting. I have the Medela Pump In Style Double Electric Pump. It is so easy to use and takes no time at all. If you are like me and always in the car going somewhere, I suggest adding the hands-free pumping bra and the portable car charger – that way you are never stuck without your pump. Let me tell you, if it is time to nurse and baby isn’t around – you will be thankful you have your pump!
6. Cotton onesies: When I was sifting through my shower gifts, I realized I had a million and a half onesies. I told my mom that there was NO way I would use all of these. She said ‘Oh yes you will!’. She was right. It is amazing how many outfit changes babies go through in the early weeks! Rett was always having diaper leaks or milk stains. It is nice to have plenty of onesies on hand for baby. Even just plain white ones. I recommend getting more 0-3 months than newborn. While Rett did wear newborn clothing, it only lasted for a couple of weeks.
7. Sleepers: These are great! I love the ones that zip, but the snaps are perfect too. The sleepers keep Rett warm all night and they are super easy to get on and off with diaper changes. He was not a fan of the sleep sacks, although I have friends whose kids love them. They weren’t for us! You’ll want to have a stock of these.
8. Aden & Anais Swaddle Blankets: It is amazing how many blankets you will acquire with all the baby gifts rolling in! I have blankets coming out of my ears! While the big fuzzy, thick blankets do come in handy on certain occasions, the Aden & Anais Swaddle Blankets rock! They are light because they are made from muslin, yet they keep baby warm. Everett is always hot, so these blankets are perfect – they keep him at a perfect temperature all night. You can swaddle (thus the name) with them, too. Rett hates to be swaddled, so we haven’t tried that trick… Definitely add these to your registry!
9. Graco Modes Travel System: The travel system seemed like a logical purchase. I did a lot of looking around when it came to the stroller. I wanted something that was user-friendly, that would grow with Rett, and had a system with it. After trying out many strollers, we settled on the Graco Modes. It can be used in ten different ways, had an infant car seat, and was easy to use. Not to mention, Graco is known for being a durable brand – and I plan to use this for future children. The stroller frame is lightweight. The car seat pops right on! If you are out walking and would prefer more of a bassinet for the baby, the toddler seat folds down. So far, I’ve put a lot of miles on this stroller and haven’t had single problem yet!
10. Play gym: I didn’t think much about getting a play mat for Rett. I figured that they took up a lot of space and he wouldn’t need it. I was wrong! My mother-in-law got one for him and he absolutely loves it! We play on the mat all the time and he loves all of the animals and sounds it makes – especially the rattles. We even do tummy time on there. If you are doubtful that your baby will like all the gadgets, try one out. I bet you change your mind…I know I did!
11. Aden & Anais Burpy Bib: Bibs are bibs…right? Nope. Somehow, there are bibs out there that don’t actually soak anything up. They just don’t. The Aden & Anais Burpy Bibs are awesome. They are a soft combo of muslin and cotton, super absorbent, and double as a burp cloth and bib. Stock up with 4-6 of these – they will last for a long time.
So there you have it! Just a few of my favorites so far. I will update as Everett gets bigger.
Please keep in mind that I am not endorsing or advertising for these products. I am only sharing my personal opinion through my trials. I hope you find this helpful.
If you have any products you’ve tried and love, please share!